Welcome back to another edition of Wednesday Hodgepodge. Joyce over at From This Side of the Pond is our wonderful hostess who comes up with some great questions that really make you think, sometimes even outside of the box. So feel free to jump over here and get the questions, come back to your blog and answer them and then link back up with Joyce and the rest of us for the various answers, thoughts and ideas while learning about and meeting new people.
1. October 21, 2015 is Back to the Future Day. Did you see the movie? The sequels? In the second film, Doc takes Marty into the future to prevent Marty's future son from making a mistake. They leave 1985 and land on a 'skyway' on October 21st, 2015. So tell us, what were you doing in the fall of 1985?
--- Yes I have seen all of the Back to the Future Movies. They never get old no matter how many times I watch them. As for what I was doing in the fall of 1985 that is a hard one to remember because I was only 13.
2. If time travel were possible, would you want to go to the future? The past?
--- Definitely the past. I would go back to when my children were younger and change the way that we lived our lives. I would still be able to spend time with my mom and my oldest daughter whom are both in Heaven together. They were inseparable in life and certainly in death. They died less than 6 months from one another.
3. We're not flying cars, but some of the technology imagined in the 80's film has indeed come to pass in real life 2015-flat screen TVs on the wall, tablets, fingerprint recognition, video conferencing, online banking, 3-D movies, motion controlled video games, drone cameras, and smart glasses (Google glass). Do you worry technology is growing at a rate so fast we'll soon be unable to keep up with it's demands? Do you think the Internet does more harm than good?
--- I honestly believe that it is happening way to fast. It isn’t that the technology is good it is the issue of affordability. Not everyone can afford the prices that some of these items cost nor the utilities to pay for some of it. We in today’s society I believe are technology poor. We have to pay for the smartphones which are in excess of $200-$600 for things that are more fragile it seems than a regular drinking glass. If you buy one and you drop it you may not be able to get it replaced by the insurance that you carry for just that reason.
As for the internet being a good or bad….honestly, I think it has made a lot of our children lazy. You can get on the internet and go to any search engine and type in what you are looking for and find it. I remember having to look in the dictionary and encyclopedia when I was younger or better yet, asking an elder for the answer. If you wanted to know a phone number or address you had to look in the phone book. Today it is not that way. I am a guilty party as well I have to admit.
4. Your favorite dish prepared in a slow-cooker? Your favorite fast food?
--- My favorite dish would have to be my mom’s potroast. I still can’t make it like she did and it was always amazing. As for my favorite fast food, I would have to say White Castles. If you have a Crystals where you are than you can get a pretty close idea of what I am talking about. I don’t know why I love them but I do. They are the go to food here after the bars close that is for sure.
5. No time like the present, down time, face time, pressed for time, in the nick of time, make time, mark time, or just in time...which timely saying most relates to your life right now?
--- I would have to say pressed for time. I am terrible at writing things down on my calendar to remember them. I hardly ever make it to work on time because I either leave 5 minutes to late or hit traffic that is slower than a snails ass. I honestly suck at time.
6. Tell us about a place you went as a child or younger person that's no longer there or is now something else. How does that make you feel?
--- Bacons Department store. I loved going there for school clothes. When I got to my teens I used to go there with a friend and we would try on the wedding dresses and pretend on what our wedding day would be. The ladies there never minded us coming to try on the gowns and always helped us find ones that would make us look like princesses. Honestly I think they were just bored out of their mind. It was a lot of fun. I do miss Bacons and wish that they would come back because they always seemed to have the clothes that fit, they were affordable, and always in style.
7. Describe your comfort zone.
--- Being with family. There is nothing more comforting than being with the one’s you love. Ok maybe being in my pj’s all day but that isn’t always possible.
--- I recently found these amazing items on etsy and contacted the seller to see if she made custom orders. I was so thrilled when she said yes. She is in the UK and was such a sweetheart to deal with. She made me 2 different necklaces to choose from but I liked them both so I told her that I would take them both along with the Heart Pendant that she made for me. It was as if it was meant to be. I found her two days before the angelversary of my daughter Heather. I found the heart first and asked if she could do them in Pink and Brown for my late daughter. She said she could and agreed to do the Butterfly necklaces in the same colors for me.
I went to the post office yesterday and checked the box and I had them there waiting for me. They were so beautiful and perfect. Much better than I had anticipated them to be that is for sure. The Heart Pendant was also a lot bigger than I had expected. I have to say it was the best $32 dollars I have ever spent. I got one for my daughter Victoria to put in her car and the other for my car.
I am still dealing with being sick for over a month now but I have to say that finding these items on etsy certainly made me feel a lot better. To hold them in my hand and know they were made especially for me was even better. I know that they are unique and no one else has one.
Well that is all for me on this hodgepodge but please be sure to leave a comment with your website so that I can hope over and drop you a line and meet new people.